What does it mean to be a B Corp?
by Anna Willatt.
3 February 2021.
So, you ask, what exactly is a B Corp?
“Certified B Corps are a new kind of business that balances purpose and profit. They are legally required to consider the impact of their decisions on their workers, customers, suppliers, community, and the environment. This is a community of leaders, driving a global movement of people using businesses as a force for good.” – BCorporation.uk
A B Corp Certification is not a one-off; it’s not an award to put on a shelf. What excites us the most about this certification is:
- entering the B Corp community
- being kept accountable for our actions
- being supported to always strive to be better.
Through the certification process, the overall positive impact of our company was reviewed. We were organically doing well in many areas and there were also great opportunities to learn and improve. As we are now part of the B Corp community, we will be reassessed every three years against even more rigorous standards.
Why did we want to become a B Corp?
The more we heard about the B Corps, the more we realised that our values aligned. Our founder, Emma Sexton, has always believed that work should be a place where people thrive.
To help people thrive at MYWW we:
- Have done a lot of work to create a culture of honesty and trust
- Operate as a fully remote business – and always have done – to enable flexible working and autonomy over actions and location
- Treat our community of freelance talent as an important part of the business – paying fairly and listening to their feedback
- Actively give back to our community with mentoring and charitable donations
- Proactively support our clients with sustainable solutions for their brand activities
We wanted to be part of this community, learn with them and lead innovation within our industry. While we have already crafted a better way of working (see more about how we work here) – becoming a B Corp pushes us that bit further towards using the work we do as a force for good.
Why is this certification important?
Share this post
In other news
Is your brand human enough after all?
by Emma Sexton
We might be embracing robots in real life, but the last year has seen an acceleration in consumer connection with brands that embody human character traits. In this article, we explore the three steps to doing just that, the method we have used to bring these experiences to brands as recognisable as Google and YouTube, and as diverse as Silicon Valley Bank and the National Nuclear Laboratory.
The future is audio? A word from our Creative Community
by Emma Sexton
MYWW Creative Community member Sascha Evans, Founder of We the Creators, shares her thoughts about the powerful medium of audio in 2021 and beyond.
8 ways to know that you’ve found the perfect creative partner
by Anna Willatt
We know a thing or two about finding the right creative partners. In fact, our model is based on it…